Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sensitive

Tonight the girls were watching a Mickey Mouse Christmas special while I played with Johnny. The special comprised of three different stories and the last one was a Mickey and Minnie retelling of the classic "The Gift of the Magi" story. In their version, Minnie sells her watch to buy Mickey a harmonica case and unbeknownst to her, he has sold his harmonica to buy her a chain for her watch. I've always found this story to be supremely bittersweet and feel so bad for both people involved. Yes, their intentions were pure and good, but in the end it was all for naught. It's sad in how giving they are to one another. 

Apparently, Keegan agrees with me. I heard a little sniffle coming from her direction, then another. I asked her if she was ok, only to be met with a huge "No! It's sad!" as she started crying. She immediately came into my lap and started bawling as she exclaimed how she didn't like it because it was too sad. My heart broke for my sweet girl, she is a bit of a pistol with a bit of firecracker and a bit of banshee (and maybe a little imp), but deep down, she has a heart made of gold that feels for all around her. Istarted crying  as I snuggled her, relishing in a purely emotional female cry together. I showed her how Mickey and Minnie were still happy, but also told her it was ok for her to be sad. 

I find it amazing that her emotional maturity has developed to that degree just shy of three years old. I think we may have to be more careful with what she watches from here on out just so we can be prepared to support her through her viewing. I sure do love that sweet girl!


No comments: