Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Plugging in

One of the things that you find when there is a defined diagnosis for your kid's special needs is that everyone tries to plug you into a group with other people with that diagnosis. Our genetic counselor, doctor, evaluators, and OT were asking us pretty regularly if we had contacted anyone to learn from their experience and get more support. I drug my feet at first, a lot. I wasn't sure if I wanted to, what I viewed as succumbing, but joining the group. It seemed like I could more easily hide from it if I wasn't part if a group. I did join a friend at a special needs night at a local jump place though and liked the mommy we met there. That mommy passed my name onto another mommy and soon after I was hit by an email inviting me and the kids to a playgroup. We weren't able to join, but soon after we were invited to another play date by the same group. I was nervous and worried (I can admittedly be pretty stand offish and didn't want to step on any toes), but I told myself I had to give it a try. I am so glad I did! I met some nice mommies and I met a great mommy and a new friend that I am very much glad to have in my life. I knew we would be friends as she watched on as her son who is a year older than Johnny are mulch. I told her I knew we could be friends because of that too! A relaxed, ready to enjoy life mommy was just what I needed. We had a play date tonight at the same bounce house and it was nice to see many of the same mommies I have been getting to know. It is hard in some ways, looking around and wondering where Johnny will be when he is each of the kids ages. But it was nice to sit and talk with people who understood your worries and helped celebrate your victories in a very personal and sympathetic (rather than empathetic) way. Pictures of our fun bouncing to come!

No comments: