Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Apricot Glazed Salmon

Tonight we had salmon, I am trying to be more proactive on cooking healthy and Matt really wants to integrate more fish into our diets to help all sorts of great things about our nutrition. I am picky about my fish and prefer to get it from the store the day we cook it. As I was stalking the fish case at HEB, I had to suppress a smile because the fish monger kept stalking the case with me, ready to grab my choice from the selection. I started to get slightly frustrated as most of the Salmon and other fish are farm raised. Certain varieties of fish really need to be wild caught if you can manage to get it that way. I finally found Alaskan Salmon that was wild caught and was a decent price. We served it with whole wheat couscous and sauteed squash and zucchini.

Take one pound of salmon, leave the skin on. Heat a non stick pan with olive oil. Season the flesh side of your salmon with kosher salt and herbs de Provence (you can vary it, but that is what I used). When your pan is hot, but not searing (medium to medium low), place the salmon in, skin side up. Leave it in the pan for about 4 minutes before flipping to the other side. As the Salmon cooks on the skin side (about 4 minutes), brush the flesh side with a mixture of 2 tablespoons Apricot jam, 1 tsp honey, and 1 teaspoon of Balsamic vinegar. Flip back onto the flesh side to seal in and glaze the topping. Serve with your sides.

This made enough for the girls and us to eat and for Matt to have a smaller serving for lunch. The girls really liked it as did we. The glaze wasn't overly sweet, just enough for a nice addition to the salmon. I think we will have salmon again next week with a teriyaki/brown sugar glaze.

No comments: