Thursday, August 15, 2013

Enjoy Every Moment

I have a friend who doesn't really care for the phrase "enjoy every minute" when it comes to raising kids. First, we hardly think the crying, screaming, blow out, throw up, breaking things, pulling hair, fighting with siblings moments count. Second, the good moments are enjoyed. Most mommies don't need to be told that. She says to enjoy every moment as if it is the last because you don't know when it will be the last time they do that thing. You don't know when it will be the last time Mac says "Chicky-ray-ray". You don't know when it will be the last time Keegan signs "bug" with her finger up her nose. And you don't know if it will be the last time Johnny naps on your chest. There are few things in this world that beat a baby napping on your chest. The way they fall into you, the way they twitch every so often, the way they sigh with perfect contentment, the weight of their body pressed up against yours both curled up and spread out, the way time actually does seem to linger are all so wonderfully combined for a great moment. I was afraid that we had our last sleep session with Johnny a few months ago. He would get antsy and fussy if we held him while he was sleepy so we more often that not would put him down to sleep. A couple weeks ago I was treated to a short nap with him and I was happy to have that, even if it was the last time. Today I was treated again, I lazily enjoyed visiting with friends while sharing little moments with my son that I hope I never forget. If your memories really do flash before your eyes before you die, I want that memory included, for all of my children. Thank you, God, for this.

No comments: