Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Educational woes

I so fret about the kids and their educational needs. I see so many advantages and struggles to each and every educational system. I have a vast amount of knowledge about the education system, educational theory, and have several years of experience on the front lines. I also know my kids, in and out, backwards and forwards, and I know what is best for them. I have researched through several ideas, reflected and prayed over each of their needs, and discussed it with multiple friends and family members, most importantly, Matt. I am very deliberate in my decision making process, I really think these things through. Thus, it is infuriating to me that several people I have encountered lately, in the educational systems and programs that we are checking out for MacKenzie make a blanket assessment of her based on age alone without asking me my thoughts and reservations about their (or my own) desired placement for her or without speaking a single word to her themselves. I am so frustrated with the walls that are being put up and the doors that are being shut without even having a ten minute conversation with myself or with my child.

In all fairness, there has been an attempt at some middle ground being made on some people's parts, but the language that was used did not feel conducive to setting my child up for success. I know the key words, I sat in enough meetings with parents to know what certain phrases and terminology means. And everything that was said may have been well meaning, but I want someone who is excited about challenging my child and being ok if she needs a boost or even if she doesn't succeed 100% of the time. Instead of starting her at a lower level and seeing if she needs to be moved up, we really wanted to throw her in ahead and see what happens.

So I refuse to let a door shut before my daughter has the chance to walk through it. I will do the same for Keegan and you better believe that I will do the same for Johnny. I will find a system that is willing to work with my child for the person that she is. It may be hard work, but that is why I am her mom. That is why I am her mom. So that I can figure out what her needs are and find a way to meet them. This year, her schooling may look very different from what I thought it would be, but I am going to do what I can to lift her and her sister up where they need and want to be. I am excited to see what is in store for us and hopefully a new program awaits our exploring this weekend.

No comments: