Sunday, March 24, 2013

Wedding Cookie Project

My sister had me/ coerced me into making cookies for her wedding last weekend. Birds were a large part of her wedding and seeing as her new last name is Brown, it was only fitting to make little brown birds. I will post the recipe tomorrow for this cookie and another delightful gingerbread cookie, but I wanted to post a few lessons I learned in bulk cookie making.

One- If you decide to make 300 cookies for a wedding that need to be rolled out, cut, and decorated, you may want to do it on a week that your husband is not traveling for work. Thank goodness the kids are really good!

Two- If you decide to make said cookies anyways, get all of your supplies before your husband goes out of town. I lugged the kids in and out of THREE stores that I had no other reason to go into in an attempt to find pre made cookie icing to make my life easier. It was fun to make my own and hand decorate the cookies a bit more, but it isn't the plan I originally had!

Three- You need a bigger kitchen. Cooking, baking, decorating, assembling is very difficult to do in small spaces.

 

And now for some philosophical lessons...

Four- Sometimes we don't look quite right, sometimes our head hurts...


Or our tummy hurts...


Or we just have that crazy look in our eye...


Or we just need time to cool off...


Sometimes we need our friends...


Sometimes we just want to be alone...


Sometimes we need the love of our lives...


 The kissing cookies were kind of funny. I tried to pair a lot of them off as I was making them and as they expanded on the cookie sheet in the baking process, many of them were kissing. I guess things got a little hot and heavy in the oven...

This project was definitely a labor of love, but it was so worth it. And that is the take away from making these cookies. I would do anything for my sister. I worked into the wee hours of the morning to finish these for her and tried to do so joyfully. At moments I had to stop and recollect myself as my patience was getting away from me, but I also thought about all of the details of her wedding that she was obsessing over to make sure her day was great. Was making 300 cookies and packaging them a lot of work? Of course. It was a great service though. I had made a commitment and I was honored to see it through... And I of course hope that it made Jessica's night a little bit sweeter too!


No comments: