Sunday, February 10, 2013

Words of wisdom

The girls have a set of really good friends, Avery, Alli, and Lylah. My heart is happy when they get to spend time with these girls because of how well they get along and what good examples Avery and Alli (who are both older) are to Mac and Keegan. Their mom, Jennifer, was telling me a funny thing the other day that Alli said that has really made me think lately.

Alli used to do gymnastics and girlfriend is really, really good at it. She stopped for awhile for a number of reasons, but recently asked to start it back up again. When talking to her mom about starting back with gymnastics, Alli said, "Well if I am going to be in the Olympics, I better start practicing." It was such a frank statement. If this, then that. It was all so clear to her, that she needed to get to it to achieve a goal she set up for herself. She was being honest and pure with what she wanted and felt she needed to do.

What would happen if I had this philosophy about more in my life. What if I reframed a lot of my thinking into small, frank statements. You set a goal, you state what you need to do to achieve said goal, it's as simple as that. And if I can keep that simple statement in the forefront of my mind, then I may work harder to get where I want to be. There are so many times that I get caught up in everything that needs to be done, every little detail, every little best case and worst case scenario, and bogged down with all of the "what ifs". It becomes very much a case of losing sight of the goal because of everything else weighing me down. Alli's little mind didn't worry about all the unlikelihood of making the Olympics, she just knew if that was to be the case then she better get to work. She didn't stop to think about what that may mean down the road, I think she just understood, in a very clear way, that without the practice she wouldn't get to her goal, so practice is the place to start. I think that is the key. You may not reach your goals, just as Alli may not reach the Olympics, but if you don't start with your first step or two then you definitely won't get there.

So here is to reframing some goals into simple statements...

No comments: