Friday, April 8, 2011

First Foodie Friday

I wanted to have something spectacular for my first foodie Friday on this blog, but I've got nothing amazing...just normal. We have been eating a lot of meals from the freezer that were prepared before the baby came so nothing that looks that great in pictures (just tastes great).

Since strawberries are on sale I thought I would post a few yummy strawberry desserts...

Of course you can always cut your strawberries and toss them generously with sugar. If you refrigerate for a few hours and stir occasionally they will macerate or produce a little sweet strawberry juice to enjoy. You can then eat this as is, top with cool whip (which I believe needs to be name brand), pair with angel food cake, short cake, or pound cake (and cool whip), or serve over vanilla ice cream (while usually a bluebell fan, I highly recommend the Breyers Slow Churned Vanilla Bean with berries).

Another idea involves this cake...



Chop one pound of strawberries and fold into one to one and a half containers of cool whip (again name brand, but you can use light if you wish). Set aside and cut an angel food cake horizontally in half. Use the strawberry cool whip concoction to "ice" or "frost" the cake. Top with additional strawberries as desired, slice, and serve. This is a really great and light summer treat. I always say I am going to make this with strawberries and blueberries for July 4th, but never get around to it...maybe this year...

I also enjoy making strawberries Romanov, but you have to wait for that one...in the mean time...Enjoy!

No comments: