Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fall is coming...I promise

Before my Texas readers say anything, I promise...I am not crazy...but Fall IS coming. I know that you are fanning yourself, thinking about as little as possible so as to not waste too much energy when it is so hot outside, but I swear, relief is on the way...

Headed up to College Station yesterday, MacKenzie was sleeping in the car seat, Matt is listening to me ramble on about nothing, and suddenly on Highway 6 I stop. I take a deep breath, a couple sniffs, and sit back deliciously satisfied. Why? Because I could sense it. What? I could sense FALL. I can't really describe it, but all of you know what it is. It is the turning of the air from humid and sticky to crisp and...well...fallish. The way the air hits your nose and your eyes is just different. And the air takes on a different smell. It is calmer some how, not still, not heavy, but calm and light and almost sweet. This isn't just about the temperature (although Thank God for the coolness we have had...only 90s is great), but it is about how the air feels and envelops you. I can usually sense it a few good weeks before everyone else can, and I am here to tell you ladies and gentlemen, Fall is coming and it is coming in a great way. I sensed fall several more times on the ride there and back and I can promise you that this fall is going to be cool and crisp in a way that we haven't seen for a few years. You want more proof? Look at this picture...


Ok, so it probably doesn't look like much to you, but this is a picture I took from the car on the way home last night. You see the orange dot in the middle of the black sky? That was the moon for a brief time last night. That, my friends, is an autumn moon...and further proof that I am not crazy. Fall is upon us ladies and gentlemen and it is time to get excited.

I love fall. I love sweaters and sweatshirts and long sleeve shirts under short sleeve shirts and jeans. I love pumpkin and apples and cinnamon and squash and soups and stews and chili and turkey. I love the crisp air. I love high school and college football and wearing as much maroon as I can. I love waking up not sweating in sweatpants and having hot tea or cocoa while reading the Sunday newspaper (ok, I just read the ads, but moving on). I love eating and spending time outside without melting. I love fall decorations and colors and the anticipation leading up to Thanksgiving and shopping for loved ones for Christmas presents. I love the way that I feel, after being weighed down by the heat of the summer, the lightness that you feel in the fall. I love looking forward to lighting the fireplace for the first time and going to the drive-in movies while sitting in the bed of Matt's truck. I love when it gets just cool enough to ride with the windows down and maybe turn the seat heaters on just to keep you toasty. I love fall and am so glad that it is coming in a good way this year!

So we won't have a fall like the following picture taken a few years ago in Central Park, but here is to looking forward to it anyways!



2 comments:

Margaret said...

You are totally right. It felt so good outside this morning and yesterday morning!!

Yay for Fall!!

Ashley Howard said...

Oh...and add garage sales every weekend to things I like about fall!