Monday, June 6, 2011

"My" Pecan Rolls

I don't think I have posted this before...

I know I have said before how much I dislike Giada De Laurentis...not as much as Bobby Flay, but it is a definite close second. I really dislike the way she randomly throws in Italian pronunications with no consistency or reason as to why. I really dislike the way they edit to show her hands all the freaking time. I really dislike the way she describes her food. And I really, really dislike the way her show is basically Food Networks version of adult t.v.. Have you noticed how frequently they show her...chest?!? All of this being said...the lady has some great recipes that are usually super easy to replicate. This recipe was adapted from hers to make Hazelnut Cinnamon Rolls. Why did you have to adapt it you might ask. Well, because the freak of nature I married, Matt, does not like Hazelnuts...or Macadamia Nuts...or nuts in ice cream...or Caramel...or Butterscotch...or Toffee...or Pumpkin...or Ribs...or Fried Chicken on the bone...or many other things that have to do with this recipe. The only one of those things that apply to this recipe is the Macadamia Nuts, but he limits my inspirations none the less! I also altered a few things along the way because that's how I like it...you can find the original recipe here.

These rolls are soft, spicy, flavorful, and have the perfect soft center. I add the cream cheese "glaze" because people expect it, but I would probably like it just as much without it. These do not "sit" very well before being cooked so I recommend you bake immediately. And consume immediately...just because!

Ingredients:
1 roll of refrigerator section bread dough (like the Pillsbury french loaf)
1/4 stick of butter room temperature
1/2 cup (or more) of chopped pecans
cinnamon, sugar, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg (or freshly grated) to your hearts desire (but go easy on the last two)
-Giada recommends:1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (definitely use more), and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 package of cream cheese
Powdered sugar to taste
Milk to desired consistency

Rolls:
Preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease or spray baking pan. On clean work surface carefully spread out dough from seam until you have a flat sheet of dough.



Spread dough with room temperature butter. Mix together sugar and spices and pecans if you want.





Sprinkle over buttered dough. Carefully roll dough back up and pinch the end of the dough into the roll.



Cut dough in half, then each half into halves, then each quarter into halves, until you have 8 relatively even pieces. Carefully place into baking dish.





Bake until golden brown, approximately 25 minutes.

Mix the softened cream cheese with the powdered sugar to taste (I like mine with a little cheesy zip) and milk for the desired consistency. Drizzle over slightly cooled rolls, let set for a minute or two, but not too long because all baked qoods are better warm...except for cake...and some cookies...never mind...enjoy when you want!

I don't have a picture of the end result...probably because I was stuffing my face with them. Enjoy anyways!

I would really have a hard decision to make if presented with Karlin's recipe for cinnamon rolls with the brown butter icing and this one...but seeing as it has been so long since she made them and I don't have the recipe then I have no choice but to stick with my own!

No comments: