Thursday, September 17, 2009

This is one big baby

We went today for what was supposed to be our last ultrasound. As I sat in the waiting room with a very full bladder I thought in a bittersweet way that this was the last ultrasound we would get until the baby was ready to come and we would get to meet him or her in person. When we were finally called back for the scan we reminded her that we still wanted a surprise on the gender. She began to take her measurements and asked me again when I was due. So, she re-took measurements and confirmed that I did not have gestational diabetes. She also asked us how large we were when born. She told us that as of right now, the baby is measuring...wait for it...6 pounds 4 ounces! And we still have seven weeks to go! The size of the head and belly are looking about 35.5 weeks, the length of the femur is looking about 36 weeks, and my uterus is measuring about 35 weeks. We were definitely mixed on what emotion to feel. I am personally happy that the baby is so healthy and could easily make it quite well outside the womb at any point. However, there are some developmental things that might develop better inside the womb too! My doctor decided it would be best for me to follow a restricted diet (no carbs...boo) for the next two weeks and then she will get the tech to rescan. So this wasn't our last ultrasound.

Our thoughts on the whole thing is that so far this baby has grown in spurts. I think she happened to see us at the front of a growth spurt and that we shouldn't worry too much. We will see if I am correct or if she is correct in two weeks. Regardless of who is right, I don't think many people expected this baby to stay in the full 40 weeks. In the mean time, I am going to go eat a steak!

2 comments:

The Allisons said...

At our 36 week scan Lilah's head measured "out of range" (over 42 weeks)! Try not to worry too much; but don't buy too many newborn sized clothes either :)
You look great!!

martha said...

Wow! Way to grow a baby! Maybe you'll have a 10 pounder. ;-) Just kidding! But yeah, don't buy any newborn clothes! Even Liam (7 lb 3 oz) didn't wear them for more than a week or two and it's just as easy to roll up sleeves and wear the clothes a bit longer. And yay for another scan!